Monday, May 31, 2010

Race Day!

To me, it's better than Christmas! For those who call Indianapolis home, the ritual and tradition can even supersede the race itself. Or maybe that's just me. But no one can deny the excitement of the fly-over!

I was raised by a race car driver, spending my childhood in the paddock and later (when I got older) in the pits. I used to enjoy hot summer nights in the garage with my Dad. He worked on the race car of the moment. I sat on the tire watching him, learning and handing him tools or holding down something while he tweaked and revved the engine. It was very exciting! The roar would vibrate through my chest. It was a wonderful time with my dad, whom I still consider one of my very best friends.

So I learned about Formula-Vs, Midgets and Sprints from my dad. But Indy Cars fascinated me too. The hallowed names like: Rick Mears, Mario Andretti, A.J. Foyt, Al Unser, Johnny Rutherford and Tom Sneva seemed like friends to me, as if we knew each other and were part of some club together. And so I would study; study the driver/owner/engine/chassis/tire combinations. Eventually I got quite good at predicting the winner--had a little reputation for it--betters would call me! Very funny for a kid.

As an adult I moved around, lived in several different places. I would try desperately to find it on the radio, often with no luck. When the internet came along, I would try to find a station to listen to--also a bust in the early days of the web. With time, I was disconnected from my Indy Car feed of information and lost my mojo.

But I have NEVER lost the fever I get when the pre-race festivities start! There is nothing better than singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" with Jim Neighbors!! I cry EVERY SINGLE TIME! No joke. Did it yesterday.

Going to the Indianapolis 500 Race, the Greatest Spectacle in Racing, is an experience. One I don't wish to repeat, unless I have really good seats. It is much more enjoyable to listen on the radio! So each year, we get a Sunday Star, pull out the Indy 500 section. Get ourselves ready and listen to the radio in the window sill as we garden and work in the yard. As do our neighbors, so we all cheer in our own yards at the same times! Still in the "club"!

Sarah

P.S. Tony Kanaan, you are a true champion! In my mind, YOU WON!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome story!!! Growing up in California I don't have the rich tradition with the race as you do. Not surprisingly I'm not a huge sports fan and it took a while before I paid any attention to the race at all. However, I don't think you live within 5 miles of the track for almost 12 years without getting bit by the bug at some point. It snuck up on me but I'm hooked.

    I'll be honest it started with stumbling across a broadcast of the Victory Banquet one year: hearing the accents of the drivers (I'm a sucker for a good voice but throw in an accent and I melt) followed quickly by their good looks mixed with hearing them talk about racing. Their sportsmanship and jocularity wiht each other is so fun to watch. It took a few more years but then I got into the excitement of the actual race; however, my favorite part of it all still is watching them on Monday night all dressed up and celebrating or lamenting at the podium.

    Dario's been my driver since I started paying attention in 2004. His first win was great though it was a bummer the race was shortened for weather. This year was spectacular. I still can't believe he led 150 of the laps. Wow!

    TK is great and will really win one day for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete