Saturday, October 16, 2010

One Less Hen :(

We lost one of our girls today. Still have no idea why. Just noticed this morning all is well and this afternoon she was sleeping in one of the nest boxes...floppy comb and listless.

I separated her form the others as chickens are notoriously mean to an ill mate, plus I didn't know if she was contagious. So she sat in a little cat crate while I did an exhaustive search on line about what might be wrong with her.

Brian got home and we stacked another rik of wood which takes about 45 minutes. When we finished she was already dead, stiff and cooling....poor little thing.

The others seem perfectly fine. But so did she yesterday!
I'm still trying to find out what happened. I'll post a comment when I have an answer from the Backyard Chicken Forum.

In the meantime, I'm digging an enormous hole in the compost area--off limits to the other chickens. Plus she'll have all winter to decompose before using any compost on the garden.

Sadly,
Sarah

1 comment: