Wednesday, June 16, 2010

ICU

Neuro-ICU or 3-NS was a special spot where all of us had the same basic thing. Varying degrees certainly, but the same basic thing...brain surgery.

The first nurse, whom I don't remember much, was not very nice. I asked for something for pain. Her reply, as best as I can quote was, "No, you know you DID just have brain surgery." Exactly, doesn't that give you a little consideration in the pantheon of all things surgical? Sheesh!

But the remainder of the staff was truly wonderful! Excluding one small thing...neuro checks.

Neuro checks were performed hourly the first 24 hours. They consisted of the nurse's prerogative of squeezing hands, pushing and pulling of feet, shining lights in my eyes and answering basic questions like, "Who's the president? What year is it?" Seriously? Dude, I'm really tired right now. And there's a considerable amount of pain. Can I have some morphine, PLEASE?

"Nope. Not for neuro patients :) We need you lucid to perform the neuro checks :)" ....*sigh*...

And so it went the first day. But before it was over, Brian and I were holding hands. He, next to my bed, and I all bandaged, packed and needles in every spot. It was 4:20am. In the ICU, you have a private room, but no privacy. There is a large window looking onto the nurses' station. There was a nurse there writing in a large binder. I noted to Brian, "Hey, that nurse is left-handed."

"And she only has ONE FACE!!!" I cried as I repeated and repeated, "ONE FACE ONE FACE." The first of the miracles had arrived! I was no longer seeing double, but single vision once again!! I cried and heaved...ONE FACE! Thank you, God! Thank you for all the answered prayers! For I knew that if this was permanent, my life could go on as I had known it before. WOW! Less than 24 hours after surgery and I was seeing in single vision!

The nurse arrived quickly, perhaps alarmed by my monitors going nuts. Andy said, "Settle down now. Are you OK?" I repeated, "YES, of course!" And Brian proceeded to explain what had just happened. As a nurse, I think he was conflicted. He was thrilled at my quick response to surgery...on the other hand, he had just spent 8 hours regulating my pain medication and my heaving crying fit had blown it completely. I had a splitting headache!

More pain meds for me!

The next day, I was feeling better and the neuro checks were every 2 hours.

The third day, they expected me to go the the regular floor, but once again there was no room in the inn. So they kept me in ICU, but unhooked from all my monitors. Neuro checks were now every 4 hours and the nurse gave clearance for Brian to take me for a walk (with a wheelchair, just in case).

We walked all over and he took me outside to the front entrance. It was an extremely humid night. I love those...wonderful for breathing. He wheeled me back and forth for probably a half-hour. Life seemed brand new somehow. It was a lovely moment I'll never forget. Wheeling and talking...all new.

The next day was Day 4 and I was to be released that morning! Wow! Just 3 days in ICU and going home. It was remarkable. That morning, Dr. Nelson came in. I saw him across the ICU, checking charts and signing papers. Then he looked my way and made a B-line! He entered my room all smiles and hugged me! He said, "How many of me do you see?" I replied, "Only ONE!" He smiled bigger and shook Brian's hand. It seemed this was a wonderful result, even for him. If this wasn't typical, I didn't know and no matter--I was happy!

Sarah

1 comment: